Saturday, November 8, 2014

What-Khan (Rock-Con,) part One

 It was very nice to attend What-Khan over the weekend, even though it is possibly the most unfortunately named convention and it was only for part of the day on Friday.  I played a very exciting game against a good friend and opponent who came at me with a straight Imperial Guard list.  We played a Tactical Objectives mission.  I made risky moves in the beginning of the game to score as many points as possible, and simultaneously (again) underestimated the staying power of those Bullgryns with Slabshields.  This cost me dearly in the later turns of the game, and by the end of turn five my 3,000 point army had withered to about 800 points on the board (more or less, probably less).  Luckily, the game ended early and my early points that I scored (including first blood) put me just barely over the top for a final score of 9 to 8.

I can't help but mention that even a cheap victory is welcome thing for me, I haven't been winning a lot of games!

We didn't agree on these terms before the game started, but there wasn't a single Lord of War, Superheavy, or Flyer to be seen on our table.  We came at each other with boots, guns, and tanks.  Really great battle, we both had a lot of boots on the ground.  I fooled around with switching turrets on my two Predator tanks, giving one Chronus, twin las, heavy bolter sponsons, the second one the autocannon turret and lascannon sponsons.   I wasn't really quite sure how to apply them, and they felt clumsy on the field.  My new Scouts held an objective the whole game (until the last turn), and did a little bit of sniper work.  They didn't shine, but what can you expect from five guys?

Anyways, here's some pictures.

I experimented a bit with sending these pictures directly to the blog from my phone.  It turns out that the resolution gets really dumbed-down when you do such a thing, so I apologize for the fuzzy quality and small size.  When I make them larger they're all pixels.


The Shotgun Start, after the fact.  The tradition lives after all these years.


These Wyrd Pskyers were twin linking and generally enhancing Joe's Leman Russ Battle tanks, every other turn they would have one of their heads detonate from a Perils of the Warp, but there were enough of them to be disposable heroes.
These are Ethmongul's grots.  I used to run them all the time, it was good to see them back in action in fine ork form.
J's Minotaurs face down some orkish mobs.
Another shot of the ork advance.  Waves and waves of them!
Imperial guardsmen from the 420th advancing up the riverbank.
Joe's Bullgryn.  I worked all day on these guys and barely had the strength to crack them.  They're really tough if you ain't got the persistent firepower.
Marines Errant march against the 420th IG.
Draculasangel23 made a Knight all warm and fuzzy for the orks.
Chaos101:  Your first lesson is "this guy."
My Errants on parade.  Behind them, J's Minotaurs.  Back-to-Back Badab War armies.
Another look at those Minotaurs, and Draculasangel23's Sisters of Battle behind them.
The new ork codex has been very kind to those that hang onto their old models, and Gordy is no exception.
One of the tables ready for play.
Zemessor Nandrekh brought a very good looking Necron force.
As always, Stormcaller56 brings us quite frightening amounts of alien life.
Cterry's Salamanders lay out some punishment to Jed's Grey Knights.  Sometimes the dice are fickle, sometimes the cards are.

No comments: