Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Orks and Nostalgia Don't Mix

After soaking deep into the well of the yearly 40k mud bath we call the Big Game I came home, hungover to a degree, and loaded my totes full of models into the basement and didn't look twice at them as I turned to head upstairs.

I played orks for years, from 1989 to sometime in the early 90's, then lost my interest in 40k, sold (no, wait, just left them at someone's house) all my models and then started over again in 1998.  That 1998 codex I played with until the new one came out.  When the "new" one came out I almost immediately started losing interest in the Orks, the decade or more of losing over and over again with the old codex had taken their toll.  I was in love with those old underdogs.  Nob Spam was the new black, grots were suddenly useless, and Painbosses had lost all their flavor.

Enough bitching.  Its over.  Still, I had a ton of fun making ork models, and they'll probably always be my most favorite army to model and paint, just because the process I use is much more akin to assemblage sculpture than modelling, skirting the line somewhere between mosaics and modelling.

I'll be posting a few pics just for the nostalgia of it all, a few photos to remember these models by while they're packed in totes filled with styrene peanuts and lofted into the attic.

I guess the big deal here is: they're for sale.  I'm not going to put them on Ebay, nor am I going to set any prices.  But if someone, anyone out there really wants one of these guys, give me a holler and we'll work something out.

First: one of my favorite models.  Warboss Gobkrakka.


 This guy has been a Warboss for me since 1990.   He got mounted onto a bike once that was more viable in the newer codex when he could accompany Nob bikers into combat and gain the benefit of the doc in there.  His trike comes equipped with a Stikkbomm Chukka, steering wheel, and foot-activated Dakkaguns.  

I always fielded this guy with close combat weapons that struck on initiative.  In the previous codex he had a shoota/skorcha with a bionic arm (those were cool).  For this version I gave him the 'Uge Choppa, since he's actually got Initiative 4.  The only guy in the ork army that goes that high- I always wondered why people put a powerfist on their warbosses.  It made no sense to me at all- you'd lose an attack and go at the same speed as a Nob with the same loadout.  So instead I gave him the 'Uge Choppa, which allows him to swoop into combat to just clobber someone with his Initiative 4, Strength 8 (on the charge), 6 attacks.  He worked great against either swarms, usually instakilling bases, groups of pleebs (he did really well against s3 opponents that would need a 6 to wound him back), vehicles and dreadnaughts.  With the invention of hitting rear armor on tanks, 6 attacks at Str8 was just as good at glancing a vehicle to death as a Strength 10 powerklaw.  His attack squig is from the old squig catapult squig, mounted onto a chain on his choppa.


Detail of the front of the bike.





No comments: