Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Orks and Nostalgia Don't Mix, Part 4

The Skullhamma.
One day my friend Brad gave me a Baneblade.  I forget if it was for free, or if I did something in trade or painted his basement or whatever.  Either way, he handed it to me with no strings attached and said, "Just do something awesome with it."

I think this is my best model.  I can't say that I would enter anything else into a competition, but I could try to bring myself to it with this one.  It sports a wide range of bits, found objects, all kinds of stuff is on there, and I tried really hard while painting it.



 The treads were replaced by wrapping bike chain around the wheels, then I added carpet stripping.  This stuff was difficult to cut accurately, and I remember bleeding all over the table when doing this part.  To this day, if this model was dragged backwards across the average game table it would take chunks out of the surface.  I've quietly noticed it damage styrofoam terrain, leaving small bright pink divets in its wake.  There's fiberglass screening, and extra armor plates made from old credit cards and the like.



The Gun is made from some washers and faucet parts... the cannon on the hull is made more orky and bigger by the simple addition of a sanding column from a rotary tool.

The turret is built from two hulls of a rhino, aluminum plate, shingles made from mat-board.  Note the unexploded "dud" hunter killer missile still lodged in the side armor.

In battle, the best thing this has done is draw fire.  It moves forward, and usually disgorges its passengers by blowing up.  Great for carrying ten Mega-Nobz around in.

1 comment:

Ben said...

I totally can see why this would be your favorite model. When you literally bleed for something, it better be worthwhile.