Saturday, August 3, 2013

The fuel for the war fire.

You may be asking: what's beer got to do with this gaming site?  My answer: Everything.

I've begun homebrewing.  Pictured above is a six gallon glass carboy with Pilsner in it, being brought down to 50 degrees or lower.  Its going through a several-week lagering period for clarification and hopefully fuller fermentation and precipitation.  My first batch was an APA that registered around 4.3% ABV.  It was so good it is almost gone already.  I gave most of it away as gifts, went camping, and was suddenly looking at the last six bottles.  Time to brew more.
Part of the reason why I dislike gaming at game stores, the reason why I built a table in my basement, is because a game without a pint or two (or more, preferably) isn't really a great game for me.  I don't need to drink to have fun, but it sure helps.   Sipping a Mountain Dew across the table from some stranger who really wants to kick my army's ass just to stroke their own stunted ego is just about the most tiring thing I can think of.  So I built a table in my attic studio after Napoleon's closed.  After moving out from there, I had one to three tables at any given time in the basement of my flat in Bay View.  When we moved to the one bedroom apartment in Madison, I would move the kitchen table into the living room and put styrofoam board atop it.  When I bought this house, the building of the table was a make-or-break concept.  Basements that couldn't accommodate a game table were vetoed.  After the purchase of this house, the basement was gutted and finished, the table was built, lights were added.  Now the beer is being brewed.  It is the part of my life I'm trying to hang on to.  It is my room away from the harsh reality of being a grown-up and working and taking things seriously.  It is levity, facetiousness, imagination with flippant disregard for authority.   That's what I'm trying to build a shelter for, trying to save in my life.  These yeast cells are my soldiers marching into the guns of my disappearing youth.

This carboy is five gallons of 40k.



No comments: