Tuesday, July 30, 2013

The Bane Wolf conversions.




 Right, so I was walking through St. Vincent De Paul one day and I come across this giant bin of used cameras.  All these film cameras.  It took me a few months to realize that they were just about the same size as a Chimera.  I eventually made myself go down there and buy three of them, and for the past few months I've been collecting pieces and bits for converting them.  I've officially started, run into some difficulties, but am well on my way.  The camera on the right has just two "wheels" glued on with epoxy.  The one on the left has four wheels and that track used for ring-saws (mentioned in earlier posts).


Below we have the one from the left, a few exhaust ports from that looted Ork Demolisher lying around.   The wheels that the track are mounted on are actually bearings from the same saw; they eventually seize up and get thrown out.  I pick them from the trash, bring them home and save them.  I've got several left, even used four to hike up the Gear House a bit from its base.


Here is a picture of someone else's Bane Wolf (found after a cursory Google Image search).  Note that it is essentially a Chimera with a weird Chem-cannon on the front, that's sort of ribbed as if it were a nozzle for a pneumatic tool.



The nozzle on mine will be much more pronounced. I added some track guards, and the heavy flamer to the front.  Anyone gets within 8" of the front of this thing will be pretty sorry indeed.  On this particular conversion, the wheels are plastic rings that were used in the packing material for my metal wire shelving units in the basement.  I really don't throw anything away anymore.


Here's a detail of the front.  Thought I'd put that little do-flingy from the turret on here as a sort of "visual contact device" used to assure that there aren't friendly units directly in front of the heavy flamer.






Here's a detail of the track guards.  Some track guards from an old Chimera, held on with track pieces from a Baneblade.




 I threw on some smokestacks.  These are from the hydraulic lift part from the enormous dozer-blades that used to come with the old chimera kits.  A barrel to hold the toxin, and a towing hook (probably for towing a leman russ) for good measure.






Here's a size comparison between a chimera chassis and what I'm building.  I'm not convinced on the one on the lower-left, so that one will be last.


Another shot for comparisons...




Last night I tore the wheels off of Bane Wolf #2 and started over again.  This time the belt (treads) won't be as wonky (hopefully).  I also base-coated a TON of guardsmen.  I can't wait to get back down there.  They look so good already- much better than primer white.

Next on the agenda after the Bane Wolf Project--

What do I make with this?

1 comment:

Warsmith Morgoth said...

Your banewolves are coming along nicely! I really like what you are doing with them. I think using those old cameras as bodies is a really great and creative idea.