Friday, September 28, 2012

Gettin' by with a little help from my friends.


Since we've seen me last on this blog, I've seen the birth of my new daughter and had a horrible virus attack my system.  I'm all better, and the little girl is doing just great.  During this time I've been quiet on the blog, but I've been slowly putting guardsmen together, with much thanks to added supplies from my friends Tim and J.  They'll probably see a few of their own figs in these pictures, I've kept some of them whole just to give homage to their generosity-- in 40k model form.  In the pic above is my company commander (for now, I plan on buying creed), his vox caster, two flamers and a company standard (because big flags look really cool).

In the next photo I've got an infantry command squad.  They've got three flamers and a kneeling heavy flamer.  I hope to add a vox to this squad, and transfer one of the flamers out to another infantry command squad still in progress.


Many of the conversion bits you'll see are from Warlord games and from Pig Iron.  I really think they make great stuff, especially for guard armies.  Next are a few infantry squads.  This one has a vox and a chick with a grenade launcher.  She'll probably get a name, and become a character in Book of the Arbitrator games for sure.  I think her name will be Klorine Bleech.


Each infantry platoon is pretty much identical, a grenade launcher, vox, and bare-bones sergeant.






Also, I wanted each unit to have a "scout" of sorts leading them through the ruins of combat, so each squad has someone kneeling and pointing, or someone kneeling with binoculars, ususally reserved for heavy weapons squads.  This will help explain, fluff-wise, why I will probably regularly outflank with the penal legions and other units. 


These guys coming up are some veterans.  They've got some melta and some plasma power.





And this squad,  I'm not sure whether to convert them into veterans, parts them down to special weapons squads, or keep them just an ugly-lookin' infantry squad.  But they're part of the chemical crew, that will accompany the Bane Wolf squadron I'll have coming onto the field.


And some heavy weapons.  Some mortars.  Great stuff.  I'll probably build another two bases, and then field two squads of two, or attach these guys to command squads.





As I mentioned earlier, I've got some penal legion already built.  I've got two squads of ten, ready to rumble.  As seen earlier in the blog.



I've got a chimera, two leman russes, three bane wolves and some more heavy weapons to put together.  The above will be the core of my army, I'm hoping to use Creed and Kell to shout out orders.  I know I won't need all those vox casters out there, but I think they look really great, and if anyone sees how I roll, they'll know I'll need 'em if I want to get an order off.



5 comments:

Warsmith Morgoth said...

Wow! When I talked to you a while back and you said you were staring at a table full of guardsmen, you weren't kidding! Great job, they look awesome.

Whats really funny too is your command squad with the 3 flamers and 1 heavy flamer, I did the same thing with my command squad! Check out my blog for the pics.

Keep up the good work, and I can't wait for a guard on guard game.

Dai said...

Loving the use of all those old sculpts mixed in amongst the kitbashes. What will be their colour scheme?

-Mark said...

Still thinking about the color scheme. Now that 6th edition has come out with allies, I thought it might be nice to include some blue somewhere to make them coherent with my Marines Errant army. So I'm thinking blue pants and shirts, then squads defined by shoulder pads, veterans in more of a black / grey scheme and special weapons teams with some bright reds and oranges.

Thanks for the comments, I'll post more soon. Painting probably won't start until I have some vehicles complete.

T.S. said...

I really like the added feel of the Doughboy/WWI heads intermixed. really gives the army a theme of a mishmashed penal battallion! I would gladly pass over the proud regimental title of the 726Th Menial labor and utility regiment, but i'm sure you're backing up the army with your own fluff.

Looks great. Heard Jay is getting you somevehicles. I should still be able to assist if needed. I consider the IG army second only to Orks in the ability to personalize it, so the more bits to kitbash the better...

-Mark said...

Thanks! Maybe I'lll make them the 727th! I actually have a little bit of fluff, but I'm still fleshing it out: There's a planet in Deadhenge that still has enough volcanic activity and proximity to a dying star that it can support organic matter touching its surface. This is in reference to The Great Exodus event : 750.M41 (page 172 of the BB). The planet's inhabitants are the survivors of the left-behind prisoner work camps. They've cobbled together an army with a cobbled-together constitution and caste system. The planet is a toxic wasteland, filled with dead spires teeming with mutant gangs and horrible diseases. Those in the highest castes get respiration and protective gear (veterans), but eventually their bodies succumb to the malnourishment and poisons and they weaken and are relegated to the lower castes (infantry platoons) and eventually the surviving deranged are sacrificed, near naked, upon the altar of battle (penal legion). This explains their use of Bane Wolf tanks, as the same toxic miasma that is killing them slowly can be concentrated into a compressed liquid and sprayed upon the unwary as a way to instantly lower the caste of anyone choosing to rebel against the higher class. Furthermore, the army is a bit like a citizen's militia, blending in with the populace, and suddenly springing into action to defend their turf or spring a surprise on their opponents- hence why I'll probably field Creed and outflank with not only the Penal Legions but also the Bane Wolves as well...

Anyways! I'd be happy to take any bits to bash from you... I really need chimera tread assemblies or wheels to convert them into APCs. Chimera turrets, etc. I'm not planning on running Ogryns or Ratlings. I'm gonna need some Leman Russ support, I've got two chassis right now, but one is my old Looted Demolisher from my ork days, and the turret from that is on a boomwagon somewhere...